Oyako donburi is a dish that you can find at most Japanese restaurants. “Oyako” means mother and child, i.e. the chicken and egg. The chicken is cooked with onions, carrots, and green onions in chicken broth, and the entire mixture is held together with eggs. It takes about 40 minutes to make, but it is very flavorful and delicious. This recipe makes enough for at least 4 servings.
2 chicken breasts cut into strips
6 shiitake mushrooms (dried, soaked for 30 minutes, and sliced)
2 carrots peeled and cut into thin strips (julienned)
1/2 white onion peeled and sliced into thin strips
1/2 cup chopped green onions (for the dish and as a garnish)
1 cup of chicken broth
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of sugar
5 eggs, beaten
1. In 2 tablespoons of oil, cook the onions and chicken together until the onions are translucent and the chicken is no longer pink. Drain off as much of the chicken juice and oil as possible.
2. Stir in the chicken broth and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and mushrooms, and simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the sugar, soy sauce, and salt, and simmer for 3 more minutes.
4. Sprinkle in half of the green onions, and stir them in gently.
5. After mixing the green onions in, pour the beaten egg mixture in the pan and try to spread it evenly among the chicken and the vegetables. Cook for 10 minutes or until the egg mixture is cooked through.
It’s just about done now.
The finished product with a garnish of green onions! Serve over rice or transfer to a serving bowl.